Thursday, January 14, 2010

Tales From The Past: Bananas, Bananas, Those Freakin' Bananas.

As anyone who knew me from 1996-2004 can personally attest, if there was one thing I detested beyond anything else was bananas. Not the taste, nor the fruit itself, really. But the fact that I was the banana fetcher.

See, my mother had muscle cramping. Her doctor said it was from low potassium, and said the easiest way to remedy that would be to eat more bananas. So, no matter where I would be, and it would always seem to be the most annoying or inopportune moment (like 11pm at night), I'd get a page (yes, in the days of pagers) or a cell call from my mother telling me to pick her up some bananas.

Oh, how many times did I rail against the yellow, slightly curved, loved by primates fruit. Those damn bananas, man. You know how they say you spend X amount of time in your life sleeping, in line, etc? I think I spent 10% of my life fetching freakin' bananas. That and milk, but we've all had to make late milk runs. You know how much of a dumbass you look like at a grocery store at 11:30 at night with a bunch of bananas...and only a bunch of bananas?

My mom's been gone for over a year now. But I still get a chill down my spine when I see a banana, smell a banana, someone talks about a banana.

I still eat 'em though. I'm a monkey at heart, after all.



post signature



1 comment:

  1. Dawn hates bananas, too! But unlike you, she doesn't eat them. Isn't it funny how some foods become repulsive to us; not because of the food itself but because of the association we have with it.

    We are truly weird creatures.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment. So that I may respond and possibly mock and ridicule you. Just kidding. Maybe. We'll see what you say first, how about that.

Charter Member of the International Sarcasm Society
"Like We Need Your Support."